Macron calls Trump’s US tariffs ‘brutal and unfounded’ – Europe live

Macron calls Trump’s US tariffs ‘brutal and unfounded’ – Europe live


Trump’s tariffs ‘brutal and unfounded,’ French president Macron says

French president Emmanuel Macron is now addressing a meeting of business leaders talking about how to best protect the French economy following Donald Trump’s tariffs.

He opens by saying the US president’s decision was “brutal and unfounded,” as he expresses concern about the tariffs’ “massive” impact on France and its overseas territories and Europe more broadly.

He signals there will need to be an answer to this move.

Key events

EU blasts Trump’s tariffs as ‘deplorable’ for hitting some of world’s poorest countries

Lisa O’Carroll

EU officials have denounced the indiscriminate nature of tariffs Donald Trump has imposed on some of the world’s poorest countries as a “deplorable move”.

Containers are stacked at a transshipment terminal near Berlin, Germany. Photograph: Filip Singer/EPA

“To see countries like Lesotho, Cambodia, Bangladesh hit the hardest by US tariffs is absolutely deplorable and is something that is extremely difficult for us to comprehend,” said one.

“These are not countries that are producing semiconductors, these are not countries that are producing cars. They produce things that the US may not produce coffee, bananas or other things. So these do not represent a threat,” they said.

The EU’s says if negotiations fail and it imposes counter tariffs, they will be targeted in a “smart way”.

The officials have also confirmed it would not ever contemplate messing with food standards to address Trump’s complaint last night over “non tariff barriers”, seen as a reference to rules banning US hormone fed beef and chlorinated chicken in the EU.

“We do not lower our standards. So whenever we protect consumers, protect the environment, we have legitimate legislation that is non discriminatory, which is the basic test in trade law. We do not discriminate against anyone. We design our rules in line with the rules of the World Trade Organization. We do not lower the level of protection of food, for example, in any negotiation, certainly not in this negotiation,” said a senior insider.

The EU is refusing to comment on the details of its retaliatory response saying it has to analyse the impact first but that everything “remains on the table” including measures that could see US tech companies unable to charge for their intellectual property for software.

The bloc is facing three types of tariffs – tariffs on aluminium and steel Trump announced last month, last night’s 25% tariff and cars and the 20% blanket tariff on exports.

It has now concluded its response on aluminium and steel which will be put to a vote next Wednesday with analysis of the other two tariffs expected to take weeks.



Source link

https://nws1.qrex.fun

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*